Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Herman and the Whale

"Herman," said the whale, "have you ever wanted to be something else?"
"I haven't thought about it, no," said he, dangling his legs in the water," but I suppose I would like to be a potato."
"A potato?" cried the whale, obviously disappointed.
"Well," said Herman, "I feel it would be a very fulfilling life."
"Fulfilling?" gasped the whale, obviously aghast.
"What would you like to be then?" asked he who dangled his legs.
"Oh, I don't know," said the whale, waving his flipper lazily. "Being a bird would be very liberating. No whalers in the sky, haha."
"Plenty of them in the sea, though." said Herman, hefting a heavy harpoon.
"That's true," said the whale, "that's what happens when you're wanted. Before I go," it lifted a flipper to wipe a tearing eye, "Why a potato, Herman?
"Potatoes have no feelings," said Herman as he plunged the harpoon into the whales yielding flesh.
He tried not to cry.

1 comment: